Once again, this story really hit home for me. The story was about a father-daughter relationship in which the daughter was a lesbian. In the story the daughter writes an article about her father and he is extremely upset about it. In my opinion I thought the story was about a lack of communication and a lack of desire to have a relationship. I wasn't quite sure about the ending of the story but it seemed like the father was pretty much done with the daughter.
I thought the author did a great job with this story because it hit very close to home with me and evoked a lot of emotions. I have a half-sister, from my fathers first marriage, who is actually a lesbian. She does not get along with my mother or my father at all. As a matter of fact, her and I just started speaking again for the first time because of all of the things she has done in the past to hurt our family. However, I see the opposite in this story. Unlike my situation, where my parents tried their best to have a relationship, in the story I got the impression that the daughter was the one trying and the father just couldn't accept her for who she was.
I would have liked to have had a little more detail at the end, because as I said earlier I was a little confused. Overall I liked the story even though it did bring back some memories, but I think that is why I liked it. As we have been saying in class, if it causes some sort of emotional response then the author did their job.
I hope the ending makes more sense after discussion.
ReplyDeleteYou keep mentioning aspects of your life that you are reminded of when reading stories -- which just goes to show how much of your life you can mine to make your fiction . . . and that can just be a way in to a story; the story itself doesn't have to be autobiographical.