Wednesday, June 8, 2011

Nothing To Smile About

  I really enjoyed this story. I felt like it kept me interested from the moment I started reading it. I felt that it was about not taking things for granted and also making something of yourself even if you don't think you can. I also felt there was another message that sort of felt like even though you may think you don't have anything to smile about, you really do. It is also about being grateful.
  I felt like Susan and Wanda had an interesting relationship just because I think a lot of girls can relate. I know I always have that one friend who wants to wake me up just to tell me about a boy she met, even though she knows I will listen better if she wait until I wake up on my own. I also think the fight is very believable as well. I mean who hasn't had a fight with their roommate about money and tons of other things. I also liked the Ramen Noodle references because I remember living off of those when I was a freshman and was broke. I think a lot of college students can relate to that.
  My first suggestion would be maybe to start off in the action. Possibly when Susan is walking to save Wanda and then she flashes back to earlier that morning when she should have listened. I did feel like it got my attention and held it well, I just feel like starting off closer to the action could do a lot for this story. Also, I didn't like how Wanda said "like" all of the time. It works sometimes, but I feel like when it is in everything she says it kind of takes away and is distracting. The last thing that kind of got to me was how at ease Wanda and Susan were after Susan shot the guy. They were talking as if nothing was happened so it felt a little unrealistic to me. If my best friend had just been getting raped and I shot the pervert in the face for it, I think I would be a lot more shaken up than that.

No comments:

Post a Comment