Wednesday, June 8, 2011

Freeman

  I felt like this story was about a guy who maybe took his life for granted a little bit and then realized he could have it much worse. It is also about a guy who just settles for a mediocre life and a mediocre home. Once he sees how devastating life can be, it sort of wakes him up. I feel like this story is all about the importance of a good work ethic, as well as the importance to never settle.
  I really liked all of the detail in the story. You could really picture the area that had been leveled. It was especially appropriate because of all the devastating storms that have recently hit our area. All i could think about while reading this story was my friends in Tuscaloosa and the pictures they sent me of their flattened apartments and houses. I also liked the one personal story of the black woman character. Having her in the story and asking the men to burn her trailer and all of that made it a little more personal. I also liked how Caleb was ready to go out a rescue all of these people, I felt like it gave more depth to his character because you picture him as this lazy guy, yet you learn he has a good heart. Also, the part about him coming back the next day develops his character well again for the same reasons. We get to see that he really is a good person and not just some dead beat.
  I felt like this story did grab me from the very beginning, but I also feel like maybe it could have been started with Caleb finding the dead body, or about to find the dead body. That way the reader has the urge to keep reading to find out why the character is finding a dead body in the first place. I also feel like there could be more action, however I realize we are all limited on time as well as how much we can actually put into a short story.

No comments:

Post a Comment