I am really not sure what the overall moral of this story is, maybe just that life happens and sometimes it is awful? I started out really liking the story because it sort of pulled me in to begin with andit held my atention well, especially when the two start to confess things to each other in the dark. The story held my attention because I was anxious to know what the couple would confess to each other, and also at the thought that they might make up and possibly have another baby. I am one for happy endings even though a lot of the time they are cliche.
As I said before I really liked the fact the the story held my attention so well, it was sort of suspensful, but not in a scary way, just in a way that constantly has you wondering what the couple will do next. I also like the end and how that curve ball got thrown out of nowhere. The author has you thinking that these two are going to make it because they just made love, and they are opening up to each other, and all of the sudden you find out that the wife is moving out and the husband tried tohurt her with the infomation about their child that was stillborn.
This story hit really close to home for me because my sister had a still birth so it really wasn't my favorite story to read because it brought back some bad memories. Maybe that is why I wanted the story to end happily so that it wouldn't make me so sad. I just wish it had kind of ended on a different note because the last two pages you get these huge secrets the two have been hiding, and you know they will get divorced, and it end with them crying together. As much as the author kept my attention throughout the entire story, the end had the shock factor,but it was just too sad for me personally.
It's definitely sad -- and that's, of course, the power of it. We all know how difficult it is to make someone feel something for or identify with words on a page. And that's what she does here. Kafka said that the goal of fiction should be to "take an ice axe to the frozen sea inside us." This is why the complicated ending works so well....
ReplyDeleteAnd, when things are complicated, as they should be and as they are in real life, you can't extract a simple moral. This is why literary fiction is so much more resonant than Hollywood movies or genre fiction. Literary fiction is about people not about morals . . .