I enjoyed this story so much, probably because I could very much relate to it. In the story there are two girls who are very quiet an get pushed around a lot by the "popular" girl. After the popular girl finds out, or makes up, that one of the white girls called them niggers she wants to fight them. On the night they plan to fight the white girls they find that the girls are learning disabled, and they get in trouble for picking on them. On the bus ride home from camp though, the popular girls start to make fun of the white girls with disabilities and they start sharing stories. When the main character, one of the two quiet ones, tries to tell her story the popular girl tells her to shut up. Out of no where the other shy girl sticks up for her and she tells her story.
I liked this story so much because I felt that many people could relate to it because so many people have been bullied, are aren't bold enough to stand up for themselves. This reminded me of my high school experiences which brought back emotions causing me to dislike the popular girls and really like the quiet girls. I believe the writer did his job well because he evoked emotions in me while I was reading the story. I also liked some of his descriptions, like the one of the girl cleaning up the bathroom like a maid as if she had been around it her entire life and it cam naturally to her.
I'm not exactly sure of the things I would revise. The only thing that really springs to my mind is the fact that I wish we had gotten a better image of the entire camp. The writer uses nice images when talking of the bathroom but I would have liked to picture their cabin and comp grounds around them a little more vividly.
"This reminded me of my high school experiences which brought back emotions causing me to dislike the popular girls and really like the quiet girls"
ReplyDeleteThese are probably the kinds of emotions Packer went to when writing the piece. You could harness those kinds of emotions to bring out conflict in whatever story you're working on, even if it's not about high school or yourself . . .