Wednesday, June 1, 2011

Sea Oak

 I thought this story was about the dream to be successful. In the story the main character is a man who works at a place that I guess could be categorized as a strip club, but he does not make much money. He lives with his two sisters, their two sons, and their Aunt Bernie. Later in the story Aunt Bernie dies and they are all heartbroken. However, later they find her grave empty and then find her in their house as a meaner version of her previous self. As she is literally falling to pieces she tells them they must do exactly as she says or they will be hurt/die. She makes Jade, one of the sisters, go out and get a job while the other stays at home to babysit. She also tells the man to show a little more at work so that he can make more money to move them out of their house and into a safer place. She also wants him to go to law school. In the end she dies again, but the characters keep doing the things she told them to do because I think they realize that they want to be better.
 I feel like the story has a nice overall message. You see these people who are living life all wrong and you really can't feel sorry for them because of how appalling they are, yet in the end you are rooting for them to be better people. I thought the way the story was presented was a little out there, but I guess that is what the author wanted in order to make it memorable.
 I did enjoy the story however I might have limited the graphic language a little more. I know that the way the characters spoke was a way to show their personalities and it was realistic because there are many people out there who speak that way, but it was just a little much for me. Usually cussing doesn't bother me in the least but I think the fact that they were speaking this way in front of children is was really made me dislike it. Overall though, the story was interesting and was fun to read.

No comments:

Post a Comment