I sort of got that all three of the pieces we read for tonight were about the constant evolution of humans.The first story was about writing and using the semi-colon. I thought what the author was trying to say was that what humans write about constantly changes, and no two people write the same, which means that no two people use the semi-colon the same but somehow we never totally disregard it. The next story was called :The Human Road and it was about whales. I felt that this story was basically showing how creatures evolve and survive and do what they have to do to live. I also got that the writer was saying things change everyday, and that there was no telling how different her childhood memories would be from her son's. The last story was called "Capital Realism". This was about a girl who went to Thailand to teach and her accounts of how much they were trying to industrialize. Even though it took America 150 years to do it, Thailand was trying to compete with the west in 15 years which was unrealistic and ended up being more damaging than anything in the long run. I felt like her overall picture was that we get so ties up in the materialistic things that we don't even really see people anymore.
I felt all three of these stories had a good overall message and that the message was clear, for the most part, in all of them. I liked how they turned a personal experience into something bigger, or they related it to something bigger. I was under the impression we were just telling something that happened to us and making it interesting to read, so I thought seeing how these authors wrote was helpful in clarifying what we were possibly supposed to do.
While I felt that all three of these stories had nice overall messages, I felt that some weren't as entertaining as others. That nay have been the intention, or it just may be that my personal preference is different. I didn't find the semi-colon story to be all that interesting, it didn't really keep me as interested as the other two. I felt the other two stories had more of an actual story plot instead of just talking about an idea, which kept me a little more interested.
I am excited to learn more about creative non-fiction because this is something I don't always understand, and it is something I personally struggle with as well.
"I sort of got that all three of the pieces we read for tonight were about the constant evolution of humans"
ReplyDeleteI didn't intend a common theme, just a common genre/style/structure. I like that you found this, though!
A question that I don't have the answer to: does an essay have to entertain?