This story was about a guy named Roger who was an engineer and who was a little weird. He had four best friends, one of which happened to be a girl who really liked him. The story was basically all about being lonely and eventually Roger comes to the realization that he doesn't want to spend his life alone, and he starts dating the girl who has a crush on him.
I liked this story, and even though we weren't really supposed to do love stories, I thought it worked because it wasn't the typical Hollywood, been done before, love story. I felt like the characters were not the normal studs we see on the big screen and they were all kind of quirky which, I felt like, made the story work. I also really liked the character of Roger's sister in the story, I thought she was funny. I guess she sort of reminded me of some of my friends and family members, because we all have that one person who never stops gossiping, and it made it realistic and amusing at the same time. I also liked the scene with the cockroach because that was such a typical girl reaction and it made me laugh.
Some suggestions I had were to maybe develop why Roger and his friends are coming up with all of these crazy plans. I didn't really find the fact that they were actually considering zombies attacking them very realistic. I understand that the characters are supposed to be a little weird and different, but I might have gone for something other than zombies. Overall though, it was a good story.
RE: "Love stories" -- relationships are the heart of fiction and there's nothing wrong with writing about characters who care for each other. What you want to avoid are stories that are predictable and follow the romance genre -- these characters are unique enough that the story resists conventions . . . it's more than a "love story," which is what you want . . .
ReplyDelete