To me this story was about a girl, Beth is trying to find out who she really is. She gets into a relationship with her best girl friend around Jr. year in high school and no one really had a problem with the girls’ lifestyle. The conflict begins when Kat, Beth’s girlfriend, wants to become a little more physical. Up until college the girls had done nothing but kiss, but as they get older Kat wants to become more sexual and Beth really just doesn’t have the desire to do so. She thinks back to the years she went through puberty, when hormones are supposed to be raging, and still can’t think of a time she wanted to be sexual with girls or guys. In the end, Beth, with the help of a counselor, figures out that she is asexual. I think the major change in the character is realizing that she is not a bad person just because she is asexual and honestly a minority.
I liked the general story line. The opening sentence grabbed my attention from the very beginning because it is kind of shocking, and you want to know more about the person trying to figure out is she is a bad person. It makes you want to read more to find out why she would be having those thoughts in the first place. I also liked the ending because I was honestly not expecting the asexual part. I thought that maybe Beth was bisexual, or that she really wasn’t into girls. There were also some nice descriptions in the story, and I felt a connection with Beth.
The main thing that stood out to me was that the dialogue wasn’t my favorite. I can’t really put my finger one why though. Also, I felt like the end came so abruptly, maybe it was because I was enjoying the story. However, I wanted to see and hear more about the interactions with the counselor and how they came to figure out that Beth was asexual. I also wanted to see a little more of Kat’s reaction to the news. Overall though I thought it was a very interesting and original story.
I understand what you mean about the story ending abruptly - in the rewrite, I'll be sure to flesh it out more to keep the writing style and amount of detail consistent with the beginning of the story. I'll also focus a lot on Kat and her reaction to Beth's asexuality.
ReplyDeleteThank you for the critique!