The story was about a man named Skipper who appeared to be just out of college and looking for a job as a writer in New York. Skipper finds a job that he would really like to have and has an interview. Turns out that the man who interviewed him liked him a lot, so he comes back the next day to try and make the guy who runs the show laugh. As he sits in on all of the writers throwing out their ideas he realizes that his talent is meant for something better than taking cheap shots at celebrities, and he ends up getting up and walking out on the job that he wanted so bad. It seems his change is that he realizes not everything is what he thinks it will be, and that his talent could be better spent on writing about things that actually matter.
I liked the way in which the story was written. The overall tone was nice. I could picture pretty much everything that was going on in the story. I feel like you gave just enough detail to hint at what you wanted us to see and that lead us to make our own picture up in our heads. I felt like I could see a big New York building with lots of people coming in and out, as well as young people sitting in the waiting area before they were taken back to be interviewed. I normally don’t like a cocky character but I felt like it worked with Skip. Maybe because it wasn’t so much cocky as it was confidence, but I found myself liking the character and rooting for him to succeed.
The only part that I really feel could use work is the end. I felt like it was a bit rushed, and I wanted to know more about what was going on in Skip’s head. We are given a little about what he is thinking, but I kind of wanted more. Also, I would kind of like to see what he ends up doing. I know you set it up in a way that the character is beginning to make a change, but when it was over I was left wanting to see what Skip went on to after that interview.
No comments:
Post a Comment