Tuesday, February 14, 2012

Response to Off

The story was about a sort of crazy girl who goes to a friend's party from high school. The story opens up with this the crazy girl making a goal to kiss three different guys that night, a blond, and red head, and and someone with black hair. As the party continues she moves through a series of pranks that are exteremely ridiculous. We find out that she is very wealthy, a trust fund baby, and a bit of a snob. However there are moments where we catch very brief signs that she may actually have some sort of feeling for other people.
I thought the story was extremely interesting to read just because of the things this girl does. I also liked the little details the author dropped like when she talks about how everyone follows a certain trend even when it's the ugliest thing ever.
I think the main character and he viewpoint was written very well. Her descriptions of other people are amusing and she really makes it easy to see the party. She describes the table of food, and the flutes that everyone is drinking out of to the point where you can picture all of it. I also kind of liked the character even though she was definitely a bit off. She reminds me a little of one of my friends in the sense that she turns everything into some sort of game, and she messes with people. Even though she seems to be rude and snobby, the things she says and does are entertaining and I find myself picturing my friend instead of the character, which makes it hard to not like her.
The only thing i didn't much care for was the ending. Her ex boyfriend, whom she made out with earlier in the night, finds her after her coat prank and sits down beside her. At the very end he takes her hand, and she lets him. I would have liked to see where that went, and if the fact that she was getting attention from someone who seemed to understand her even a little changed her. I guess what I'm saying is, I would have liked to see how she changed, and what the change did to her.

1 comment:

  1. One thing you could consider "stealing" from Bender is the attention to voice -- you were writing in 1st person for your story, but the style/voice of the piece was a bit flat and didn't do a lot to characterize your narrator. Think about trying something like this.

    ReplyDelete