The story was about a family of three, a mother, a father, and a child. One day while the mother was cooking, or doing something around the stove, the hot boiling water fell on the toddler. The mother and the father tried desperately to tend to his burn with cool water and gauze. It wasn’t until they took the toddler’s diaper off that they realized the boiling water had gotten into his diaper, and that was the cause of most of his pain. They once again tried to cool the burns with water and gauze and then preceded to drive the toddler to the emergency room, however the baby did not make it, or at least that is what I got from the ending.
I’m sure you already know that I didn’t much care for this story because I hate reading anything bad that happens to toddlers because all I can picture is something happening to one of my nephews. However, I related directly with this story because when my first nephew was a toddler I had a similar experience. I left my flat iron for my hair on, with the cord hanging down, and left the restroom. My nephew went in and pulled the iron down and got third degree burns on his wrist. While this is obviously a much less severe case, I could still relate to the story and it honestly made me tear up, which is good because it evoked emotion.
While the imagery was hard to read, it was well written. I could clearly picture a toddler pulling a pan down and burning himself. I can also picture the pinkness of the skin, and the way it seems to steam from the scalding heat. The main this I could learn from this author is definitely describing things in such a way that it makes you feel something. I feel like a lot of the time my descriptions are flat and don’t really mean that much, so I could learn a lot from the way he writes.
No comments:
Post a Comment