Wednesday, April 4, 2012

Response to Taylor


            The story was about a guy named Vince who has had, what seems to be, an extremely hard life. His wife committed suicide and left him with their daughter Amelia. Amelia is a great kid, and is very strong in her faith for God. She goes to church every Sunday and keeps strong in her faith no matter what happens to their family.  Vince, after the death of his wife, needed someone to help fill the void so he found Erica. One night after a big fight, she left and also committed suicide with Vince’s gun. Vince was actually accused of murdering her, but was eventually let off after about two years in prison. After getting out Vince decided to write a book to try and get him and Amelia back on their feet but basically screws that entire deal up. In the end he moves to Paris with Amelia and ends up realizing that he does believe in God because Amelia is his proof every day that God exists.
            The story was interesting. I thought the idea of this man going through all of these trials and tribulations, especially suicide, was a very effective story. I thought the daughter added a lot to the story as well. I liked her character the most honestly. She seemed to be the most stable character in the story, which is ironic considering the fact that she is only twelve when the story begins. I also liked what the dog added to the story. The image of the little girl and the dog was just a positive for me.
            While I really liked Amelia’s character, at some points she seemed almost too old for her age. I can understand how that could very well be the case considering everything that she has been through, but at some points I had trouble believing she actually was a little girl. The main problem I had with the story was the tense shift. It happened over and over again to the point where it was very hard to even concentrate on the story. Also, it needed a lot more proof reading, which was also very distracting. I felt like I couldn’t really focus on the story itself because of the tense shifts and the errors. 

No comments:

Post a Comment