The story is about a student named Gabriel who is going to school for creative writing, but has done nothing with it so far. Gabriel seems to have a lot of problems including not really knowing where he is going in life. He also seems to smoke a lot of weed. During the times that he is high we get a glimpse into his head where we see his thoughts about women, writing, and school. He also has these weird nightmares that are kind of disturbing, I’m assuming the weed smoking as well as his anxiety bring those on. In the end, Gabriel ends up finally writing two stories that were inspired by the dreams he has had.
There were a few parts where I got lost a little bit, but then at the end of the story everything sort of came together, and I’m assuming I was lost because the character’s thoughts happen mostly while he is high. If that is what you were going for then I really liked it. I may not have understood what was going on when I was reading them, but in the end when it all came together it almost felt like I was supposed to be confused because the character in the story is too. I think the main reason I felt lost was because the dreams were so “trippy” and I just was having a hard time following them, but they were very creative..
The main thing I wanted to see more of was his struggle with school. He says he is taking all of these creative writing classes but has yet to really write anything. I would like to see his thoughts in class maybe. I kind of want to see what is going through his head during class so I could get a better understanding of why he can’t seem to write. Is it because he is confused in class? Is it just the fact that he doesn’t not seem to be motivated at all? Since his change seems to be his ability to write, I want to know what he was thinking when he was not able to write.
No comments:
Post a Comment