The poem, Loading a Boar, by David Lee was about what writers of poems should write about. I felt like the main point of the poem was to show that all writes have trouble, but that is because they aren't writing about the things that they know. The poem, The Pathos of Charles Schulz, by Matt Bondurant, in my opinion, was maybe about things that we cannot change. I felt like the poem was giving a problem and then in the end telling us that there was no point in worrying about those problems because we had no control over what happened, and we can't change what happened. Finally, Sharon Olds' poem, I Go Back to May 1937, went along with Bondurant's poem because it was about being able to go back in time and change something. However, in this poem, the character has the ability to go back and change an outcome but he doesn't because he would have never existed if he did change the past.
Lee's poem I felt was original and memorable because of the action with the boar. I have mixed feelings on the boar though because I feel like that part might be unnecessary to get the point across however, it does make the poem memorable because you don't see many poems about boars. Also, I liked the point it made about writing what you know because I feel like a lot of people don't do that. In my opinion you can't really write about things you don't know because you wouldn't really have any emotion towards the writing. Schulz's poem was a little more confusing to me, especially towards the end. It starts with talking about a spelling bee and then ends with telling us we can't rid ourselves of a specific thing. After reading it numerous times I thought maybe he was trying to tell us we can't change things so there is no point in worrying about them, but I still don't know if that is the point of the poem. I feel like the point should written in a way that could be easier understood because we don't really know what he is talking about being rid of. Lastly, Olds' poems was a very interesting one. I had to go back and read it again to really understand it but I'm pretty sure it is telling us everything happens for a reason and we shouldn't change those events even if we had the power to. If the character had changed the fact of his parents getting married then he would never have existed, therefore he realizes he shouldn't have them not marry each other. I liked this poem and the point it made and I also feel it is memorable because it makes you think twice about what you wish for, which is something I feel everyone should think about. The Lee and Old's poems were my favorite, the other was a little too confusing for me.
"I feel like the point should written in a way that could be easier understood because we don't really know what he is talking about being rid of."
ReplyDeleteA lot of people were understandably confused by the end of the poem -- do you think it was too jarring to move from the concrete images to something more abstract? Do poems *have* to tell you their "meaning" so overtly?