Monday, May 23, 2011

What Makes Poems Memorable

The first poem I read was Kincaid's and I have to say I really enjoyed it. What I imagined the poem was talking about was maybe and overbearing mother telling her daughter how to do every single thing. I also picture a very critical mother, possibly one who never shows love or any other emotion towards the daughter because she is forever critical. Collins' poem about snow was not my favorite. I thought maybe he was describing a day off and how everyone would be glad to hear about a day off. I also thought he was describing what different people would do on their day off. I did like Collins' poem about poetry. I think the message he was trying to convey was that a lot of the time people over think poetry and that's not what needs to be done. He was trying to show that you can simply look at a poem without trying and trying to get a deeper meaning out of it, which is what you told us in class and it is something I need to be better about. I also liked Clifton's poem about her hips. I felt that maybe her hips were a metaphor for her personality possibly, but she could simply be talking about her hips.

In all four of the poems we read for today I noticed that in most of them, words were repeated, which is a strategy we talked about in class. I particularly notice in Kincaid's poem she use this is how over and over again, and it made it very memorable because it seemed so critical. In Collins' poem, Snow Day, he repeats the word closed a lot when he is talking about the schools maybe getting the point across that everyone is glad that the schools are closed and that they have a day off. In Collins' poem about poetry I noticed he used the repetition of sounds including the S and T sounds, which is something we talked about today in class. Clifton also uses the repetition of sounds in her poem as well as repeating words like they to make her poem memorable. She constantly reminds you what she is talking about without having to say my hips over and over again. Overall, I really enjoyed the readings for tonight.

1 comment:

  1. Good attention to how all of the poems used repetition. Don't forget in your responses to try to apply what you're noticing about what we've read to your own work. Are these poets doing anything you're struggling with, anything you want to avoid, anything you didn't realize poetry could do, something you admire and want to try?

    ReplyDelete