Sunday, May 22, 2011

Description in Poetry

My favorite poem for this assignment was Atwood's poem. When I read it i thought it was about a woman who could not make up her mind because the poem said I want, I don't want, I want. I also think the poem was saying that the woman kept a lot of things inside because she talks about her heart refusing to say what it seems. In my eyes it is also showing the battle between head and heart. I also enjoyed Rios' poem. I read it a few times and what I got from it was again someone who keeps things bottled up inside. The reason I thought this is because the poem talks about words and how the character has none and says nothing, yet it is clear that the character has a lot going through his head. I also think this poem is talking about how much a mother does for us. Finally, Peacock's poem was a lot different than the other two, and it wasn't my all time favorite but that may be because it grossed me out a little. I think the poem is talking about how we look at something in particular and judge it, when really we may be doing the same thing. I got this because the poem describes that crushed possum with its brains, guts, dreams, and then it says "what we are".

I felt that all of the poems had original parts. What I mean by that is while Atwood's poem about the heart may not be an original idea, because there are plenty of poems out there about the heart, she did original things with it. For example, she describes the heart as an actual organ, not a cute little red shape that we see on Valentine's Day cards. She shows a picture with her words when she describes the heart as an organ, and then after she paints the picture she tells us about the abstract. I likes Rios' poem as well because he paints a very vivid picture of someone sitting at a table while the mother cooks. I liked the overall rhythm of his poem. It was a good rhythm for reading a poem because of his usage of commas as well as breaks. Peacock's poem was another very descriptive one, however it was not really an image I wanted to think about however, that did make it memorable. If she hadn't used the gross images she did then I probably wouldn't have remembered it, but because it evoked an emotion (disgust) in me, I remembered it. I felt that all three of these authors did well with descriptions.

1 comment:

  1. Since I mentioned you could work on description in your own poem, see if you can apply some of these techniques in your writing!

    ReplyDelete